Thursday, April 14, 2011

A to Z Challenge

A Tribute to the letter L

Whenever I ask myself "What is Love?" I just start laughing. It has been several years since Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell danced to that song on Saturday Night Live.  Before that I used to love that song. (I still like it.) When I worked as a clerk, I would open the office, turn the radio on, then go and clean up the waiting room, and this song came on. In those days, I was too busy as a wife, a mom and a part time receptionist to think about things like love.
Ever since I remember, love was just love to me. You love your parents, your siblings, your grandparents and when you got married you love your husband and your children. Then a co-worker told me that women probably love their husbands more than their husbands love them. Now that thought had never occurred to me before. I still try to understand what she meant. I know I am more vocal and expressive and my husband is not. That does not mean that what she said was true. I asked my mom once. She said that if that thought occurred in my head, then I love him less than he loves me, because love does not mean that you worry about yourself being loved. I think she was right.
Webster's dictionary describes love as a deep affection or passion for someone or something. I think that there has to be a strong personal attachment, otherwise why would emotions like kindness and compassion be part of love?  That is why we love babies, children and the rest of the occupants of this earth whether they be human beings or animals, birds and other creatures.
Then there is love that we see in the movies. Part of me wants to go back to my teenage years and think of love that two pre-teens find for each other. The love where there are no complications, no competitions, no doubt that the other one loves you.  It may be short lived for them, but it is cute.

9 comments:

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Love can be expressed in so many ways. One thing I have noticed since I decided to enjoy life day by day, and simply feel happy, is that I feel as if I love everyone around me, even strangers. And like if it was magic, I feel as though people love me back. Even strangers. How cool is that? :-)

Nice post!

Doris

Lisa said...

This is a very nice post and I can see what you are saying Munir. (I am beginning to really enjoy your daily focus).

Love is love, but love has been too commercialized and highly propagandiazed. Love does not mean anything without kindness and graciousness.

Belle said...

Great post about love. We are all so lucky to have love in our lives.

Hope said...

very well said Hold my Hand! and I agree with what your mom had to say about it Munir. Mom's are so wise!
I agree with Ocean Girl too!

this is truly a LOVELY post!
awesome focus!

Vanilla Mama said...

I am a Lover of your focus! THanks Munir!

NormalToEatPB said...

Love is a complex thing and yet so simple.

John said...

Great post.

The most difficult is unconditional love, yet in its very simplicity it removes all obstacles

Lisa said...

Hello Munir, thank you for notifying me about being unable to leave comment. I think there is a problem with my Disqus commenting system. I am not so sure how to handle it. All I can say now is, whenever you return later, at next post or whenever (please don't go to any extra trouble), hover your cursor at the DISQUS sign and edit your profile. Please include your link. This is one great feature because I would be able to come directly to your site without having to go to your profile. The word Avatar is for profile picture, if you would like to include a picture.

Thank you again Munir.

Gujjari said...

Let me first convey my thanks to stopping by my blog.

Good post about the Love in whole life and on earth. The definition is so variant and changes from time to time.

I am following your blog from now. If like my blog, please follow my blog.

With warm regards,

http://mydaughtersdreams.blogspot.com