Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Book in a Jar


A couple of years ago I was really worried about losing my memory. Then I started taking vitamins after reading a comment by Sharon K. Mayhew who was thinking about the possibility of vitamin deficiency. It turns out that doctors have become very serious about testing vitamin levels in their patients' blood tests so they can give them supplements if needed. My doctor specifically prescribed Vitamin B-12 for me. She was worried that my levels were too low. She is given instructions to make sure all of her senior patients (above 55) are tested and then treated if they need supplements. I hope that all of her patients are as lucky as I am. I have developed a liking to reading as if I have just learned to read. A couple of years ago, I could read magazines and small articles but when it came to fiction I would not remember the first chapter after finishing it and I was not able to follow through when I started the second chapter. I would be lost and feel so devastated that I would just put the book down. I was confused because English Literature was my favorite subject. All through my college life I would not go to bed without reading and sometimes I would get lost in reading a book and forget about dinner even. So when I was not able to concentrate I was getting irritable and feeling helpless. Now that I am able to enjoy a book, I feel like sharing my joy with everyone. Some people say that instead of making resolutions for the New Year, they take a jar and put in the jar every nice thing that they have achieved. This year I finished a book in five days. 

Displaying IMG_20150121_192939.jpg














                                           

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

the one photo didn't load, but your joy came through 'loud and clear'. congratulations! and thanks for the info!

joeh said...

I am oing to look into this some more, I don't think my memory is drifting, but then how do you know for sure.

Thanks for this and enjoy your reading!

darlin said...

Thank you for sharing this, I have a friend who I'll mention this to. I'm so happy for you that the vitamin deficiency was detected, what a joy it must be to read again!

Cheers.

Geo. said...

Thank you for sharing this. I am so glad you have had a great pleasure restored.

Granny Annie said...

I am having this problem too and have an appointment with my doctor today. I am going to ask him about this. Thanks!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Do you take B12 shots or pills? Guess what I am going to the doctor today! Thanks.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I was taking Multivitamins pills and then took B12 separately. Three months ago I started taking a B12 Shot once a week. The following month twice a month and now only once a month.
I misunderstood that when they say if your diet is complete you do not have to take Vitamins. So I wasn't. The fact is I do not like to eat eggs and Beef, my diet was not complete. Hence B12 deficiency.
Hope every thing is fine at the docoter's Sandie.

Sherry Ellis said...

Interesting that a vitamin deficiency could be responsible for memory loss. I'm glad the solution seems to be working for you! Here's to finishing many more books!

yaya said...

I'm so happy for you! I love reading and would feel like you did if I couldn't enjoy it. We take many supplements here...they do make a difference.

Launna said...

Munir that is wonderful... I used to take B12... not sure why I stopped, I am going to buy another bottle, it has a lot of benefits.

I really need to start reading novels again... it has been a while for me, I used to be a voracious reader... I really miss that xox

DMS said...

I am so glad that the doctor recommend a vitamin that you seemed to be missing (or not getting enough of). How wonderful it is that the effects have been so easy to notice. I love that you got your love of reading back. So great! :)
~Jess

Unknown said...

Huge congratulations to you for your progress! It's great that you're retaining what you read now and finished a book in 5 days. I didn't know B-12 was so important. Thank goodness your doctor did. Have a lovely weekend - and read more books!

AVY said...

I don't make promises I can't keep, so I don't make promises. Great progress, keep going.

/Avy

http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

KK said...

Great food for thought, and hopefully great tips for my parents. They are nearing 60 and I am starting to worry for them.

Connie said...

That's great that you are able to concentrate and read again. Sounds like you are in good hands with your doctor. Thank you for your visit to my blog. Wishing you a nice day!

Wendy Barrett said...

Hi Munir,

Thanks for visiting my blog - it is so nice to discover your blog!

Reading is one of the great joys of life and it must have been upsetting when you found you could no longer concentrate. I'm so pleased that you've had such improvements through your supplements. Happy reading!

Ruth said...

Hey, Munir.
I just had some vitamin deficiency tests yesterday. I have to have another test and after that, they might check my B12. I am pretty sure I am low in that anyway.
Take care

The Purple Assassin. said...

I've felt we're infinite, and have self healiing capabilities, only if we believe we have them!

Take care Munir.


Your words have a beautiful impact on me.
Keep writing!

Barb said...

I also take supplements following my DR's suggestions and my own research. As we age, our bodies are less able to process certain nutrients that we used to get from food (also, the soil is sometimes so depleted that the food doesn't provide the nourishment it should). I'm glad you can once again enjoy reading. It's one of my greatest joys.

Connie Arnold said...

How wonderful for you to find the way to a big improvement and can enjoy reading now!

Beate said...

I'd be so frustrated, too, if I couldn't read books anymore. I'm so happy for you your doctor found the source of the problem. A book in 5 days is awesome! :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Munir - so pleased you found the answer and now can enjoy reading once again ... blogging is amazing isn't it ...

Cheers and thanks for being supportive re my new hip!! Take care - Hilary