Tuesday, August 11, 2015

What do we do?

Air FreshenerProduct DetailsOne of the young men who works in the store (that I often visit on assignments) came back after being hospitalized for a week. I asked his mom about his hospitalization and she said that he was hospitalized for burns on his chest and his arms and neck. I asked for the details and it turns out that the fire was an accident that happened in his kitchen. He had just finished cooking and wanted to get rid of the smell in the kitchen and tried to use an air freshener. The spray was jammed and it would not spray so he tossed that spray can in the garbage. Then he realized that putting an aerosol can full of liquid in the garbage is not good for the environment.  So he took a screw driver and tried to puncture a hole in the can so he could throw the liquid out before he threw the can in the garbage. As soon as he made the hole in the can it created a spontaneous combustion and before he could think his chest was on fire and so were his hands and neck. He put the fire out with the fire extinguisher that was hanging right by the door and luckily for his family his wife was not hurt and neither of his two kids were hurt. As the mom was telling this incident a lot of people who heard it, seemed to be amused at the simplicity of the young man. Some even snickered as they walked away. In his defense his mom said that her son is an environmentalist. One very sensitive young girl simply said "It was sooo not worth it" 

I simply told his mom that I like to use natural air fresheners and his mom asked me if my husband ever uses an aerosol air freshener .

I told her "All the time".  Porcelain Tibetan Buddhist Auspicious Lotus Flower Incense Holder 89mm x 89mm x 38mm  T3129Stone Elephant Incense Holder

19 comments:

joeh said...

Now I know not to do that! That is tough but I guess it could have been worse.

fishducky said...

Treat ALL aerosol cans with respect!!

Drora's minimundo said...

A good lesson to be learned. Thank you for sharing.
Hugs, Drora

Launna said...

Munir that is very sad for him... I hope he'll be ok. Everyone has had a lack of judgement from time to time... I use aerosol cans myself but I've been thinking of going natural... I hope things have been going well for you xox ♡

Bijoux said...

That is scary! I've never heard of such a thing! I will be more careful with my spray starch when ironing!

Susie Swanson said...

It sure is scary and I've heard of this happening also.. I'm really careful of those cans.. Thank you for posting this. Blessings, xo

Sherry Ellis said...

I had never heard of this happening. What a scary and tragic experience for that young man!

yaya said...

Wow, that is scary and I'm glad he's OK..I can't imagine laughing about it either but that's my hospital self coming out. I'm pretty sensitive to perfumes and don't like aerosols at all.

Lexa Cain said...

The poor guy. And those who sniggered as they walked away are selfish obnoxious brats. I bet they've each done some really dumb things in their lives too. It's easy to have kitchen accidents, and I hope the man recovers very soon. Have a very good week!

Cat said...

Hope the young man heals okay, and I hope no one snickers at the little snots if something bad happens because of the choices they make!!! Snort...
Cat

Cat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Purple Assassin. said...

This is so scary, I hope he recovers at the earliest.

Thank you for sharing this, we'd be careful from the next time.


Take care Munir.


xx

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'm glad the young man is recovering. That sounds like a harrowing experience.

EG CameraGirl said...

Very scary! I can understand why he did it but I'm sure he won't do that again!

Beate said...

What an awful experience for that young father :( I sure hope he'll be okay and that the after effects won't be too bad. I wish him a fast recovery.
I cannot believe some of those people walked away amused! This could have happened to any of us. I'm sure he knew that this could be dangerous, but we sometimes do not think about something for a split second and then things happen faster then we would ever imagine. That is nobody's fault and never ever a reason to make fun of somebody. It makes me sad to know that people are so fast to judge others :(
I hope you are doing well! Have a wonderful rest of the week!

Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! said...

Hi human, Munir,

Such a cautionary tale. The young man meant well. Such a shame such a terrible thing happened. I'm sure he will pay heed and realise that natural air fresheners are much better for him and the environment.

Thank you for this. And thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog pawsting.

Pawsitive wishes and doggy kisses,

Penny xx

Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening said...

Your story will help a lot of people avoid getting hurt. Good advice...hope your co-worker is doing better.

DMS said...

Thanks for sharing this lesson with us. I feel bad for him because he was trying to do something good for the environment and he didn't know how it would end. Hope he is feeling better!
~Jess

Adhi Das said...

very informative Thanks:))