Sunday, March 13, 2011

Signs of Hope

It has been a nerve wrecking couple of days. Today after being able to talk to our son, my husband and I were able to relax a little bit. I do not have enough words to thank God. It must have been very frightening for our son to have to wake up to sirens and be away from the family. He told our daughter that the sirens sounded like war alerts. I am not surprised. I mean that is Hawaii, people try not to miss a visit to Pearl Harbour when they go on vacation to Hawaii. So it is little wonder that they are well prepared there. Nevertheless, you cannot have a hold on yourself whenever your kids are away from you and the fear of a disaster is all over the news. So I took a deep breath and watched the news all over again.
Hundreds of people lost their lives, thousands are missing and we don't even have an account of how many are injured. I do not even pay attention to material loss. People's property was washed away like toys. boats, cars and houses. We used to hear about these kind of floods in stories. Now all those stories begin to seem real. The worst fear we all had was of the nuclear power plant. It was a relief when they announced in the evening news that the radiation levels are lower than what the scientists say are safe. I mean no one wants to see Onagawa Nuclear Power Point to turn into an other Chernobyl. That is hopeful. We cannot bring back the people who have lost their lives. My heart goes out to their families. Having to suffer nuclear reaction would be beyond devastation.

8 comments:

LUC said...

It's horribble what happened in Japan ! Also , de security of nuclar facilities can't be strong enough ! See whar's is happened now ! Hopefully it's not another Tjernobil !
Interesting blog !

Drora's minimundo said...

I do not believe there ever was a catastrophe by nature more terrible than what is just happening in Japan today. The combination of such a strong earthquake, a tsunami and on top of it all those nuclear reactors in danger of over radiating is too much for one nation. We are small and insignificant in face of such powers.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I am glad for your son, relieved along with you, and saddened at so much heartache, grief, and loss, combined with the fear of what is to come.

During the wake of Hurricane Katrina, I waded down flooded streets, seeing the floating bodies and smelling death heavy in the humid air. It is that experience along with those that followed -- that help me in some small way imagine what the Japanese people are feeling.

Joanne said...

Thank God that your Son is alright. I cannot imagine what you must have felt like. We all have to pray and give thanks for the blessings that we have. Thank you for your comment on my Blog. Blessings, Joanne

MunirGhiasuddin said...

Roland,
I knew that Hurricane Katrina had brought a lot of sadness and helpness, but you are first one who is telling me the first hand experience. It must have been scary beyond imagination. I hope tat your loved ones are doing alright.
God help people in Japan.

VR Barkowski said...

So very glad your son is okay. With one disaster after another, it seems almost as though Mother Nature is turning on us for our hubris in thinking we can control her. So many innocent victims. My heart bleeds for the people of Japan.

Monalisa said...

Hearing of Japan one news after another.. What shall we do? I have no words, except with God.

Step-parent's Cove said...

Glad to read your son is okay and in good spirits. Until I read your latest blog I knew nothing of the nuclear plant. Wow! I am glad they had next to no damaged. I don't even want to imagine the fear that is running ramped in Japan, those poor people.

The only way I know what is going on in the world is via your blog. I just don't have the heart to look at the news. So, thanks for the updates!