Thursday, April 12, 2012

A to Z challenge

A to Z on my mind:-
K is for Kids
I was supposed to have written on the letter K  yesterday. I was so tired that I did not even clear the kitchen table and I was closing my eyes. Next thing I knew I was up at two in the morning. I did not feel like turning my computer on. My husband had two very tiring days after his stress test. So, do I have a blog entry for the letter K? No not really.However I remember writing about an experience as a young girl about understanding kids. It went something like this.


"Thank God, rainbows are in the sky, no one can spoil them," said a first grader when I was shadowing my Hindi teacher. 
"That's right, you are very smart," I said, and my Hindi teacher gave me a thumbs up. 

"Wow," I said as I sat down with my Hindi teacher for my review as a peer teacher. "That was so profound." 
"Yes," my teacher said. "About the rainbow? You know, Munir, all babies are born with pure colours, I mean qualities, as good as or maybe better than a rainbows. When we start to grow up however they get sorted out and separated. Then it seems like our colours are locked up in a Kaleidoscope, we see them in different designs but they are still limited and not as pure as a rainbow's." 

That was a very heavy statement. I was then a teenager and of different faith than hers, so I remained silent. For a long time I could not get the bubbly feeling that everyone gets from a Kaleidoscope. Years later, I realized what she meant. Now I am open minded about different concepts - even those that are new to me.


13 comments:

Austan said...

There are few things that pull me out of this old mind and body like a kaleidoscope. Looking in one I'm a six year old full of wonder again. Thanks for the reminder.

Tracy said...

Munir,
I hope your husband is well and everything works out...I love the concept of the rainbow and kids born with pure colors...It's a lovely thought!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

There's a lot of wisdom in this post. I guess that when you step away from the earth and look at it from outer space, all of those colors blend perfectly and there are no red states, no blue states, and all people seem to belong to just one earth.

Chatty Crone said...

I really liked that! sandie

klahanie said...

Excellent, my friend and may the colours of the rainbow and a kaleidoscope, remain brilliant and vivid in your heart.
All the best and happy writing :)

Anonymous said...

We gave our grandson (the wee man) a kaleidoscope in his Christmas sock this past Christmas...he loved it. Hope the hubs is doing well.

fishducky said...

I love kaleidoscopes--& your posts!!

Shelly said...

That's really a wonderful metaphor- very apt!

Ruth said...

Those stress tests are horrible. Hopefully he feels better soon.
You take care too.
I love kaleidoscopes. I always thought they were neat.

Nikki said...

Wow, this was a really cool post! It's such an interesting idea :) I hope your husband feels better soon!

Nikki – inspire nordic

CarrieBoo said...

Part of finding yourself again as an adult, is fusing those colours of the rainbow back together? Remembering who you are as a whole? Who you were meant to be? That's what I'm taking from this, anyway. :) I love what the kid said about not being able to spoil the rainbow.

Bossy Betty said...

Wow. This will have me thinking all day. True the kaleidoscope's colors are not as true, but they can make such interesting designs--just like our own lives.

Inger said...

When we went to the vet to pick up Samson on Wednesday, we saw a magnificent rainbow. Next time I see one, I will think of that little child in India. Because that was so profound, you are right.