Monday, April 30, 2012

A to Z Challenge

A to Z on my mind:-  Z is for Zenith.  My brother-in-law once said that the Indian community is unfair with men. That statement was heavy enough for me to start a debate. However, I did not. It is against Indian tradition to prolong topics of differences when it comes to having a conversation with your in-laws. I asked my father if he feels that Indian community is unfair with men. He said that it is not about unfairness, it is about the burden men have been told to carry. I then asked how so. He said that men are told to shoot for the stars when it comes to achieving educational and financial goals. Later on in life I noticed that people who achieve good positions are admired in life for getting education and job titles more than for being honest and fair. People would say that such an such person has reached the Zenith. I now understand what my brother-in-law was saying. 


A lot of times parents seek men of good position for their daughter to get married to, without realizing that it is possible that their daughter might not want to put the entire burden of making a living on her husband. She may want to be able to carry her own burden, by doing more than being an at home mom. 

10 comments:

Shelly said...

That's true- many women would not want to place more of a burden on their husband, but would like to be a financial help. I love the word "zenith".

Ruth said...

I thought about that word, but wasn't sure how to use it. You found a good way to do so.

CarrieBoo said...

There certainly are different challenges for men and women, regardless of culture. It has to be a lot of pressure for men that way, if they believe what's been ingrained into them. The "provider" role has changed a lot! Great Z! And congrats making it to the end! :)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Men and women from all cultures have tremendous challenges put on them by the previous generation and by society/religion as a whole. It's been going on for thousands and thousands of years.

LynNerdKelley said...

You picked a great topic for "Z," Munir. That is a burden to put on men, or anyone. I agree with you that titles mean nothing if a person isn't honest and trustworthy. That photo is gorgeous!

Konstanz Silverbow said...

Just stopping by so say hi and let you know that I have tagged you!

http://nothoughts2small.blogspot.com/2012/05/lucky-7-meme.html

Konstanz Silverbow
nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

DWei said...

Makes sense to me. But there are plenty of women out there who would be more than happy to find a successful man to settle down with.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Great Z post! I love learning about cultures different than mine.

Just Be Real said...

Thank you for your recent visit to my blog. Blessings to you and yours.

sundersartwork said...

I am all for equality,when we reach our apotheosis we are seen as special, when in reality we are just good at making money for richer people. Anyway, a better mouse trap always comes along eventually. Best to just try to be happy and content.