Thursday, April 19, 2012

A to Z Challenge

Before I forget:-  I urge all my family members, my friends, my blogger friends, my neighbors and my coworkers to please, please, please, take care of your eyes, especially if you are a diabetic or have high blood pressure. I understand that eye glasses can be expensive but if there is any spending money one may have, the purchase of a pair of eye glasses is most justified. Also, if you are changing your glasses and your old ones are not of use or are out of style, please donate the old frames.








A to Z on my mind -  O is for Opticians. 
Almost three years ago, as I was comparing notes on a computer at work, I started seeing red and green lights connecting my eyes and the computer. I was very much scared and turned off the computer. Then when I was driving home, the same thing happened at every green light I passed. Flashes of very bright light were hitting my eyes. They were very pretty. They seemed like the shape of lightning bolts you see before a thunderstorm, except these were green. Red light did not bother me. The eye doctor dilated my pupils, and thank God, there were no signs of Glaucoma. Then they did some kind of test. This test was beautiful. So many green lights flashing in front of me that I did not want them to stop the test. It turned out that since I am aging, the fluid in my eyes was getting thick and my eyes were getting used to that. The optician said that it should not take long and my eyes should be well adjusted and they let an ophthalmologist follow me up. While a lot of us have floaters, the thickening of the fluid is something aging does to us.

I remember once my eyes had adjusted to the thicker fluid, I was counting my brownie points to please God and that gave me a whole new perspective on life.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank goodness it wasn't glaucoma

fishducky said...

I am a diabetic & have regular opthalmology appointments. Several years ago, I started to have short periods (5-15 minutes) of seeing zigzag lines. There was no pain involved. My doctor told me they were migraines. What a relief--I thought I was going blind!!

Shelly said...

Very glad you didn't have glaucoma. Thank you for the timely reminder to take care of our eyes.

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

I'm glad you didn't have glaucoma. My husband developed those floaters--the doctor told him it was due to aging too. He also gets "ocular" migraines, where he sees weird squiggles that he says are like Predator, as in the movie.

You're right--our eyes are precious and need our care.

Bethie said...

Great post. Eyes are precious. I wish all my diabetic patients had the same understanding you do, especially the teens.
Thanks for visiting my blog. Don't ever quit!

Unknown said...

Glad you didn't have glaucoma, but wild that fluid in our eyes thickens as we age. Didn't know that! Thank you for dropping by to visit! Very interesting blog. I had never heard of that happening before.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Tamara Narayan said...

At my last exam, my doc told me I could consider bifocles or reading glasses (with my contacts). Now I'm so much more aware of how badly I've been seeing. Flashing lights would terrify me because that is how my migraines start.

yaya said...

My hubby had cataracts done to both eyes when he was 43..it's scary to have your eyesight threatened.I'm glad yours is good! My Mom has had issues and I know how life changing poor eyesight can be.

Youmna09 said...

Eyes are one of the most precious things we have. My dad is a diabetic patient since 18 years and his eyesight is even weak.
But he is doing all great

Chatty Crone said...

I have one floater in each eye - from age - lol. sandie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Munir .. floaters in the eye seem to be relatively common - I've had them for years ... I studied for a degree in my late 30s/early 40s .. and that set them off. I get them now occasionally .. and have got one that looks like a fly at the moment .. it'll go ...

But we all need to look after our bodies - they're the things that keep us alive! So doing the best for us is so important for all illnesses - cancers and diabetes ...

Look after yourself .. cheers Hilary