Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A to Z challenge

A to Z on my mind:-
N is for Nerves.  Just about ten years ago, one of my coworkers stepped on my big toe with her high heels shoe as she did not realize I was right behind her. We were standing in a meeting and my shoes were good enough to take the pressure and I felt only a little bit of pain. A couple of days later, my son noticed that that toe had become black and blue and and asked me what happened. I had kind of forgotten what happened so I told him that I did not know. He was very angry. When I told him to calm down as I remembered that a friend had accidentally stepped on it and I did not realize that it was that bad, he calmed down a bit. Then he told me not to scare him like that ever again, as I am a diabetic and if my blood sugar fluctuates dangerous things can happen. I told him that I read about these things and that he does not have to worry.

The Nerves that I worry about are the ones that drive me crazy, those that do not let me relax and those that make me hold on to my heart at the smallest possibility of running into an other car or someone running into mine. Like the other day, a young girl who is naturally quite pretty was actually combing her hair while driving. Her car was right behind mine and I was a nervous rack because one sudden stop, she would easily hit me. Why was she combing her hair at the end of the day, I wouldn't know. All I know is that I want to get home at end of the day. So is this because I am older than her? I asked the girl at the pretzel shop, she said that it is not my age, as she does not like drivers like that one and she changes lanes right away as she becomes nervous as well. That made me feel so much better.

14 comments:

klahanie said...

Hi Munir,
Interesting the way you connected to the two different meanings of "nerves".
I know all about the nervous sensation when driving a car and folks doing things that are downright dangerous. I expect the unexpected when I drive.
And don't get me started on those who insist on driving along without using hands-free for their mobile or cell phones. Unbelievably, they might even be texting.
Take very good care and did you buy a pretzel?
With respect, Gary

Bethie said...

Hi! found you on nikki's website and thought I'd stop by. Cool post on nerves. It gets on my nerves how people can be so discourteous, especially with driving. I guess we use nerves to describe it because it's feelings we feel?

fishducky said...

I'll bet she wasn't combing her during the test for her driver's license--assuming she took one!

Chatty Crone said...

When I read stories about diseases and what all nerves can do to you or against you -I gain a whole new outlook on them. Small but important! Sandie

B. WHITTINGTON said...

I think drivers have gone mad lately. Seems they are either talking on the phone, or doing something besides driving.
I drive cautiously, though my family thinks I drive a bit too fast. BUT I am very careful. I keep my eyes on the road at all times.
Have a great evening.
Enjoyed the post.
Barb

Ruth said...

My nerves get wound up very easily some days.

Youmna09 said...

That's a great post .....very beautifully written about the two meanings of nerves
I sometimes use when I get too irritated ..." this is getting on my nerves now" LOL

Anonymous said...

Nerves in your body and actions that tend to get our nerves worked up and people who simply know how to get on your last nerve and seem to enjoy it. Life's a beach yes?

CarrieBoo said...

The nerve on that lady! ;) I get scared of really short old people who can't see over the wheel. But getting ready in your car, being dangerous because you're all into your looks... that really gets on my nerves!

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I saw another girl the other day who was driving on the interstate and reading a book splayed open on the steering wheel. I was flabbergasted. That's just frightening.

Unknown said...

I don't think you are alone in that one. I get nervous if I see someone distracted by combing their hair too because they are not alert and could easily hit you. People are nuts. Visiting from the A-Z challenge. ♥

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Hi, Munir--

I enjoyed your post, and your exploration of nerves in two different ways. I wonder why we use the word "nerve" when we talk about the audacity someone had to do something (like risky driving!).

Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting! I hope you are feeling better.

Gossip_Grl said...

My dad has diabetes and has to be very careful also. The littlest things can become dangerous for him. I did have a laugh at the other part of the nerves and driving when you mentioned the girl driving and combing her hair. A few weeks ago my hubby told me he had passed a guy on the interstate who was playing a trumpet while driving.

Tracy said...

Munir, you need to always take care of yourself my friend. I caught up and read yesterday's post as well about thanking everyone for their thoughts; YOU ARE WORTHY!!! nothing more needs to be said! YOU ARE IMPORTANT! please don't ever underestimate yourself...
my hugs to you~