Saturday, April 14, 2012

A to Z challenge

Before I forget:- 
I would like to thank my family,my blogger friends, my friends and my neighbors for their concern about my health. Thank you guys. I think that just knowing that I am worth your thoughts made me feel better than any medicine could ever do. (shush my doctor is not reading this). I could have contacted a bug at the heart center because as much as I get stressed out about my hubby, I am a tough grandma who wants to set an example for my kiddos and not forget my usual meds. I urge everyone to please take care of yourselves especially while  you are under stress about a family member's health.
Also I want to mention that M is for Masarath,  my daughter's name . It means Happiness.
A to Z on my Mind:-
M is for Mind:-
"A mind is a terrible thing to waste," they say. I think that it would be much more appropriate to put it this way: "A mind is a terrible thing to ignore".  Seriously, why did it take us so long to understand human mind. I guess it is easy for me to say this. I don't mean to be ungrateful about all the research that has been done in the past. Medical students spend nights and days (without any social life) to study human body including human  brain and then work lengthy hours for three to five years (underpaid) as residents.  My question is for all of us non-medical people (laymen as they call us). Do we understand human mind or are we at least trying to come close to understanding, is my question.
Watching my co-worker cry over the fears of the possibility of her son being diagnosed as an autistic child was tearing me inside. I would come up with different comforting statements but I always wondered how right or wrong I was. What would I do if I were in her shoes?

It is not just one or two aspects of human behavior or even emotions that are causing a lot of hurt to a lot of people. It was not very long time ago, there was a stigma about HIV. So why should we take time to scratch it off of conditions as anxiety (especially social anxiety), depression, autism, down syndrome, aspergers, and even shyness.

As much as I worry about my own memory, at the end of the day, I pray for the day when parents and loved ones of people with emotional problems don't have to worry about people finding out.

We will still be depending on scholars and doctors to find out more about human brain and the parts that control our emotions and chemicals that can be of help.


12 comments:

Ruth said...

I wonder if that day will ever come. That there is no stigma, I mean.

Shelly said...

Very good points about the mind. Your daughter's name is beautiful! I hope your health continues to improve, my friend!

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Beautiful name for your daughter, Munir.
Prayers coning your way for your health. We have health issues so I've very aware of them.
Too, everyone has some health issues or another. Whether it is mental or physical. Take care of you.
Blessings, Barb

yaya said...

I love your daughter's beautiful name. Fits perfectly with your challenge today. I hope someday we can find more ways to help emotional problems without putting a label on people who have them.

fishducky said...

Your daughter's name is indeed beautiful, as is (apparently) the soul of her mother! You sound like such a lovely person, Munir. I wish that I could know you personally.

Anonymous said...

Hope your health continues to improve..

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Munir .. I love your daughter's name .. it's beautiful and reflecting happiness .. such a wonderful reminder of life ...

I'm glad your health is improving - look after it .. and all the very best - Hilary

Chatty Crone said...

How about a M for Munir - you have to take better care of yourself. sandie

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

The human brain is a fascinating thing. I'm so glad that we live in a day and age where doctors can peer into them using MRI's. It's fascinating stuff and we learn more and more with each passing year.

Hope said...

hi Munir
agreed! a very beautiful name indeed and very good points made in your post. Wow! a-z challenge I did it last year but no time to do it this year. good luck!
hope you are keeping well
Hope

nutschell said...

Masarath is a beautiful name:)
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Happy A-Zing!

Vanilla Mama said...

M is for Munir! Your name and your daughter's is lovely -
Our mind and our memory are priceless and so many people just do not understand!